[Sca-cooks] Period food for demo

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 18:44:40 PDT 2012

I agree; include some of the spiced they've never heard of (grains of
paradise, galingal, etc) or stuff they've only heard of in stories
(spikenard, perhaps?) and make a non-perishable food or drink to be shared
in small portions:  I like the gingerbrede; maybe for the adults, some
hypocras?  perhaps some kind of durable cookie?  you could bring a
self-heating container, battery-operated?

maybe do some spice mixes from recipes, so they can get a feel for medieval
tastes....

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Susan Lin <susanrlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like the spice idea - we've done that here before - especially if you
> included some spices that people aren't familiar with - like cubeb.  Also,
> if you do spices and the gingerbrede people can see what you can do with
> spices since some people are unfamiliar with any spice other than salt and
> pepper.
>
> Shoshanah
>
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Period Gingerbrede is easy to make, tasty, requires no refrigeration, ...
> >

> > On 8/15/12 2:12 PM, tudorpot tudorpot wrote:
> >
> >> I'm looking for suggestions re Medieval food and cooking for an outdoor
> >> demo I will be attending at the end of September. It will be a large
> >> crowd-
> >> several thousand, we can't have a fire.
> >> I was thinking creating a display about period use of spices.
> >>
> >> Theadora
> >>

> > --
> > David/Cariadoc
> > www.daviddfriedman.com