[Sca-cooks] To say or not to say?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Aug 26 13:03:44 PDT 2012

I've been known to do the dishes shirtless, mostly to keep the tunic and
shirt from getting in the way, but cook, no.  The last time I did a feast
from an open air kitchen, I was wearing t-shirt, jeans and a doo-rag and was
alternating quarts of water with pints of black and tan.

The problem with what you describe is that it flouts basic kitchen health
standards and, depending on locale, can get you shut down by the health
inspectors.  Rather than talk to the autocrat, who likely will not be doing
the next event and because this may have legal ramifications, I would speak
to the seneschal about the problem.  A good seneschal will quietly correct
the problem.  A bad one will blow you off.  Then, depending on what happens,
I would make my decision about assisting the group in an official capacity
(officer, autocrat, cook, etc.) and whether or not I would partake of the
local feasts.   A low key approach is more likely to do the job.

Having done multiple tours as seneschal and been the cook many times, my
concern would be how many other basic rules on kitchen health were being
broken.  Cross contamination, food poisoning, salmonella, and anaphylactic
shock have a way of really dampening the party, not to mention creating a
legal jepordy.

Bear