[Sca-cooks] Tenth Century Mead Recipes

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Aug 29 09:18:32 PDT 2012

The book is _Annals of the Caliphs' Kitchens_. It's a translation of
al-Warraq's 10th century cookbook. Unfortunately, it's expensive,
although in my view worth it.

There are a lot of recipes, but here's one:

*A Recipe for mead without raisins:* (p 470)

Put 50 ratls (50 pounds) honey in a pot and add 50 ratls (100 cups)
water. Let it boil until one third if the liquid evaporates, which
amounts to 33 ratls. At this point, add to the pot 2 mithqals (9 grams)
saffron and 2 dirhems (6 grams) mastic. Pour into the pot 5 ratls (10
cups) cold water.

Empty the liquid into glass jars. Set them aside in a shaded place for
50 days after which you seal them with mud. Use the wine in winter by
mixing one part of it with two parts of musk-flavored water. It will be
a splendid drink.

On 8/28/12 10:06 PM, Craig Jones wrote:
> Please... Tell me more...
>
> If you have translations, I'd be happy to redact them and work them
> through...
>
> Drake.
>
>> I'm still going through al-Warraq. It turns out that he has a bunch
>> of recipes for fermented drinks. Some, according to the translator,
>> are permissable under Islamic law--she doesn't specify which school
>> or schools--some are not.
>>
>> They include meads, wines, beers, ...  .

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com
http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/