[Sca-cooks] (no subject)

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Aug 30 01:11:32 PDT 2012

There are lots of period anecdotes that imply that Caliphs pretty
routinely violated the rule against drinking wine. Rather like medieval
priests being less celibate than they were supposed to be. I doubt it
required any sufi influence.

As someone already pointed out, the different schools of law differed in
exactly what was forbidden. The translator of al-Warraq seems to think
that anything (other than grapes?) fermented no more than three days was
licit. I'm pretty sure another source I saw specified date beer

--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com