[Sca-cooks] Spirit of the Earth by Beverly Cox

Jim and Andi Houston jimandandi at cox.net
Fri Aug 10 02:18:35 PDT 2012

Just in case there are any others out there doing research on pre-Columbian
New World cuisine, do not bother reading Spirit of the Earth: Native Cooking
from Latin America by Beverly Cox (ISBN 1584790245). The author gives much
lip service to Sophie Coe and then spits on her research by including Old
World ingredients in EVERY SINGLE RECIPE. This book should not even be used
as a tertiary source in artsci projects, it's too misleading. I'm working on
a pre-contact Mayan feast for November and I had such high hopes when I
found this book, only to have them dashed. I am just disgusted.

Madhavi

Trimaris