[Sca-cooks] Holiday dining and Santa Stuff

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 18:24:30 PST 2012

Holidays were foody here.
The 23rd I exchanged gifts with my 'sister' who delivered a beautiful necklace sent by my niece in Japan. In her honor we had sushi delivered.
The 24th, xmas eve is when my family has their primary celebration at moms.  We start with real hot chocolate made with milk and chocolate, and Stolle and Mohn (poppyseed) rolle, then have chicken frickassee (with mushrooms and asparagus) in puff pastry cups and waldorf salad on the side.
The 25th I get to host for roast goose, red cabbage, mashed potatoes, gravy, and my star of the season salad (layers of mandarin orange slices, sliced peeled kiwi, pomegranate seeds and slices of carambola (star fruit) on the top.
The 26th was second christmas for me, I had not been able to resist a lovely standing rib roast beast at the store, and was able to host my Don, my Grand Don, his wife, and one of my 'uncles' for roast beef (rarer than I had intended, the insta read thermometer that had come in at 140F even though the roast was still cool and blood rare almost to the ends) has been replaced.  Along the beef was a tossed salad and choice of dressings, oven roasted potatoes, sour cream, horseradish cream, and steam in the bag corn and broccoli with cheese sauce.  Lots of store bought german gingerbread treats and domino stones for dessert.
New Years Eve I am hosting for fondue (both hot oil over sterno/alcohol, and an electric wok of simmering chicken broth)  I have a beef tenderloin to cut into cubes. as well as chicken breast, and tons of veggies (broccholi, carrot, parsnip, mushroom, baby corn, bok choi, asparagus, zuchini, yellow squash, acorn squash, red garnet yam) and will boil 3 lbs of itty bitty (1-2") fingerling potatoes (red, purple and yukon golds) that can be served with sour cream, or skewered and popped into the hot oil for more crisping.  Oh and another star of the season salad, and fresh bread. And someone is bringing a cheese flight/tray.
Not sure the sauces that will be there yet, everyone was asked to bring one. Im doing a yogurt with curry, more horseradish cream, and have German curry ketchup, and american bbq sauce in the fridge.
OH dessert - a 1qt crock pot of chocolate fondue, hopefully strawberries, pretzels, marshmallows, apple, pineapple, banana, nilla wafers, and cake balls.
and I found a table top smores maker, so have fixings for that too...
Sparkling spumante, and sparkling apple cider will be served.

Purr
Gwen Cat
PS no foodie gifts, this year it was snuggly warm leopard spot footie jamies (IN MY SIZE,) a (fake) tiger furry bedspread and pillow cases, a tiger pattern blanket for on the couch,  and a tiger rug runner for under the exercise bike.