[Sca-cooks] Question remove vs. course

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 31 15:52:29 PST 2012

Alys Katharine wrote:
> I have been informed, however, that there is a (not-to-be-named) Laurel
> in the West Kingdom who continues to insist that her professors and
> others cookery "authorities" in the (1980s?) said that "remove" was the
> correct term. (Is your upcoming event in the West??)
SNIP

First, said unnamed Western peer is not a Laurel. Said unnamed person is a Pelican.

Second, the topic came up on the Kingdom e-mail list when a Western, Middle, and Eastern triple peer well-known on this list challenged said person to show the evidence of it being used before the 17th c. beyond merely saying it is so. A number of posters said, to paraphrase, "Who cares? We're here to have fun."

So i responded, also to paraphrase, that the SCA is recognized by the IRS as a 5(01)(c3) not-for-profit educational organization, and by educating people in the correct historical terminology we were fulfilling in part our required duty to maintain this designation. I also mentioned that i think research into the historic is FUN.

I was told i was beating a dead horse.

Clearly the horse is not dead, since it raises its head with such great frequency.

A course is a course, of course, of course,
and who ever heard of a talking course,
Unless, of course, that talking course
is a sotoltie of the famous Mr. Ed.

Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM)