[Sca-cooks] Question remove vs. course

Joel Lord jpl at ilk.org
Sun Dec 30 18:15:54 PST 2012

On 12/30/2012 9:02 PM, Elise Fleming wrote:
> Joel Lord wrote:
>  >Since the article is a touch vague on one detail - when the term
>  >"remove" really did start getting used in a culinary serving sense - I
>  >figured I'd answer that.

<snip>

> I don't know how this could be clearer documentation for the difference
> between a course and a remove - and the dating of the later to around 1700.

I am in no way arguing that your explanation of the difference between a
course and a remove is incorrect or unclear.  My apologies if I have
been unclear on that.

What I saw as missing was the first use of the terms in a culinary
sense.  Since the first use of "remove" is clearly post-SCA period, the
1625 date from the OED provides iron-clad evidence that anyone who
argues "remove" to be a period term of any culinary sort is incorrect.

--
Joel Lord
Web Administrator, Alpha Psi Omega Grand Cast