[Sca-cooks] soooooo...

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Feb 2 12:39:46 PST 2012

>Since it appears that beans as a cheap option are out (unless I can get a
>ride to Yoke's), anyone have any ideas of something authentic, popular,
>filling and cheap to bring to a Medieval feast?  I"m trying to avoid the
>standard "bachelor" options, and bring something nice.
>--

Chickpeas, black eyed peas, split peas, or lentils are cheap and period.
(Rumpolt has a huge number of recipes for dry peas, it must have been
a staple in even well-to-do houses).

Mancho Blanco (sweetened chicken and rice) is very common in many
cultures, is very unusual in the SCA (at least in this corner of the
Known World), but would make a small amount of chicken go quite a
long way.

Ranvaig