[Sca-cooks] Cookie Cutters

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Feb 17 11:22:04 PST 2012

Leave out cookie and OED goes back much farther

OED. Cutter-- meaning

"That which cuts; an implement or tool for cutting; the cutting part of
a machine, etc.

Used in a number of specific applications in various trades, and in
numerous combinations, as"

*1631* /Star Chamb. Cases/ (Camden) 84 He provided rules and cutters for
making of farthings.

If farthings here is the cake, then that's a cutter for cutting cakes.

They did have pastry cutters—little circles or a wheel that cuts. See
Scappi's illustrations.

Johnnae