[Sca-cooks] Pretzels, was Lent is coming!

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Feb 19 17:48:07 PST 2012

According to http://germanfood.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=germanfood&cdn=food&tm=21&f=10&su=p284.13.342.ip_p830.9.342.ip_&tt=29&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.petermangold.de/schwaebische_brezeln.htm
the lye solution is 19th century in origin.

The Oxford Companion to Food in the entry on pretzels states "This
must be the foodstuff that has gathered more culinary mythology about
its origins than any, from praying hands in a 7th century Italian
monastery, to a Frankish king in Alsace, to rewards for children
learning their catechism, all of it highly debatable."

Johnnae