[Sca-cooks] Maniade

Daniel Myers dmyers at medievalcookery.com
Fri Feb 24 11:25:18 PST 2012

This sounds similar:

Slavic Cooking Sauce or Serving Sauce: Garlic Sauce. Get good walnuts
and grind them; when ground, add in as much garlic as you wish; then get
a crustless loaf of white bread and soak it in broth, grind it again and
distemper it with broth; make up small bowls with pepper on top. If you
want it yellow, add saffron; if you want it peacock-blue, add black
grapes or cherries -I mean, their juice.

Note that in grinding walnuts, or even almonds, you should always add a
drop of fresh water or rosewater into the mortar as you grind.

[The Neapolitan recipe collection, (Italy, 15th c - T. Scully, trans.)]

- Doc