[Sca-cooks] Cooking Guild: opinions

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Feb 27 14:07:17 PST 2012

I think one important question is whether the guild exists to help its
members learn about period cooking or to cook feasts for your barony.
They are quite different purposes. If it's taken for granted that
joining the guild means volunteering to help with feasts, that will
discourage people interested in learning about the cooking but not
willing to commit to helping with feasts. Also, if the purpose of the
guild is putting on feasts, then some of what it is teaching members
will have nothing to do with medieval cooking.

My own preference would be a guild dedicated to period cooking, willing
to suggest recipes to the head cook of a feast, but not committing its
members to help produce feasts. But I think the other model is at least
as common.

David/Cariadoc

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 07:53:18 -0800, Mercy Neumark