[Sca-cooks] soooooo...

Tre trekatz at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 20:47:48 PST 2012

Two suggestions on things to bring, but you'd have to decide how filling they are - Apple and Onion Salad, or Barley Pilaf. The Barley Pilaf was VERY popular at a feast I cooked, and I've served the Apple and Onion salad to mundanes as well as Scadians and it was well recieved both places.

Apple and Onion Salad

Take sweet apples (I used Pink Ladies) and cut them into small chunks in a bowl. Cut some onion (I used red onions, both for flavor and color) into small chunks and mix with the apple. Toss with a small amount of red wine vinegar and olive oil. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Barley Pilaf
(from "Tastes of Anglo-Saxon England)

1 cup barley
4 cups water for soaking
4 radishes (minced)
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup water
1 3/4 cup Beef broth or stock
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon

1. Soak the barley in water for four hours. rain the water and reserve the barley
2 Melt the butter in a medium saucepan; saute the radish
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients (barley, water, stock, salt, and cinnamon) Bring the mixture to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat Cover the pan with a lid and let the mixture simmer 40-60 minutes, or until the barley is tender.
(recipe serves 4-6)