[Sca-cooks] soooooo...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 2 22:55:52 PST 2012

<<< Since it appears that beans as a cheap option are out (unless I
can get a
ride to Yoke's), anyone have any ideas of something authentic, popular,
filling and cheap to bring to a Medieval feast?  I"m trying to avoid the
standard "bachelor" options, and bring something nice.
--
Ian of Oertha >>>

Why are beans out? Difficulty of getting to specialty store to get
supplies? Or something else? While most cultivated European beans were
wiped out by the introduction of New World beans, there are several
varieties that survived, including several common ones besides fava.

What are your restrictions? No cooking? You need easily available
ingredients? Easy to cook foods? With some more details I, and others,
can probably be of more help. However, here are a few possibilites
that come to mind.

In the Florilegium:
easy-p-recip-msg  (12K)  3/ 7/10  Some easy period recipes. Ideal for
new
                                      cooks or for cooks new to period
cooking.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/easy-p-recip-msg.html

finger-foods-msg  (26K)  7/ 5/09  Ideas for finger foods at feasts and
events.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/finger-foods-msg.html

"something authentic, popular, filling and cheap". Have a crock-pot?
Make cheese-goo, buy some bread at the store, perhaps toast it if you
can. Not the cheapest, with the butter and brie cheese, but cheaper
than a meat dish. And seems to be popular everywhere. You can even
make it directly in the crockpot (I have), but it takes about 30
minutes to an hour to warm up and mix complete. And *keep stirring*.
It eventually turns from blobs and chunks into a smooth sauce. If you
can pre-warm/mix it on a stove, it will go faster.
cheese-goo-msg (44K) 10/31/06 Digby's Savory Tosted cheese. melted
cheese
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/cheese-goo-msg.html

pot-lck-ideas-msg (20K)  3/24/09  Menu ideas for pot luck feasts and
revels.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/pot-lck-ideas-msg.html

Easy to make, well accepted, but questionably period:
Scotch-Eggs-msg   (25K)  7/19/10  Fried sausage-wrapped hard-boiled
eggs.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Scotch-Eggs-msg.html

Got a good grocery near you with more than the usual greens? Easy to
make. A dressing of oil and vinegar is easy to make and period. Just
avoid the Iceberg lettuce (shudder).
salads-msg (188K) 1/ 9/11 Period salads. lettuce, greens.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/salads-msg.html

It's not summer, but these days you can get a lot of things out of
season:
Summer-Salad-art  (17K) 11/28/00  "A Summer Salad" by Lady Jehanne de
Huguenin
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Summer-Salad-art.html

Like Eggs? Can you hard-boil an egg?
eggs-stuffed-msg  (40K)  1/20/08  Period stuffed eggs dishes. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/eggs-stuffed-msg.html

Okay, I'll stop.

Stefan

--------