[Sca-cooks] modern adaption

yaini0625 at yahoo.com yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 13:57:31 PST 2012

According to www.foodtimeline.org
Turnips show up in the 1st Century. Interesting article at www.aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives
Turnips have 20 chromosomes and rutabaga has 38.
Turnips are white fleshed and most varieties of rutabagas are yellow-fleshed. But, there are white fleshed rutabagas and yellow fleshed turnips.
Pliny describes a long turnips, flat turnips and round turnips. He used the term "rapa" and "napus"
The rutabaga aka "swede" (Brassica napobrassica) gets it name from the Swedish word "rotabagge." Its a cold weather plant. It wasn't known in England until 1664 when it was grown in the royal gardens.

Bless Bless
Aelina-who-would-rather-eat-a-swede- then-a turnip.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T