[Sca-cooks] OOP -- tea kettle adventures

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Sat Feb 11 02:05:54 PST 2012

ah, well, the glass one turned out to be too delicate for everyday use, at least if you operated and maintained it by the instructions. don't fill it with too-hot tap water, don't change water temp abruptly, don't bang it sharply when it's hot, and on and on and on.  Even Mr. Handy who NEVER breaks glass (vs myself!) thought it was too finicky.

So we ended up going back to the good hardware store and getting an electric, British-style... it's GREAT! Chef's Choice International is what's printed around the base. 1.5 liter.  a little heavy when full, but works VERY fast and quiet. The handle is well-insulated, and the plastic base does NOT heat at all, so it's easy to move and pour. The metal sides do get quite warm.

will be great in hot weather to NOT have the stove burner heating the house up, as with the old Revere tea-kettle. we HAVE scotch-taped one of our "antique" Christmas ornament metal bells to the on-switch, however, so we get a "tinkle" when it's reached heat! (you push the paddle-switch at the base down to start the heat cycle, a little light goes on in the switch; when the water's hot, the switch jumps back up to the re-set position.) we only get one "tinkle", but it's amazing how quickly we got used to noticing that little sound.

chimene