[Sca-cooks] Dessert plagiarism

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Fri Feb 17 10:47:50 PST 2012

I think the main problem is taking the recipe wholesale.
CHANGE IT!
RE-WORD IT!
Recipes in and of themselves are NOT copyrightable and you are not plagiarizing them if you make them your own.
The recipe in the format and exact wording IS copyrightable.
You can't copyright bread. You can copyright your specific methods of making bread.
However if it is take water, flour, yeast, knead, let rise, form into loaves, let rise again, then bake - you can copyright it but it probably wouldn't stand up to a legal challenge.
Unique and specific.

I am not clear on the details of this case but if she lifted them verbatim she is just stupid!

Eduardo