[Sca-cooks] Lent is coming!

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at att.net
Sat Feb 18 20:27:56 PST 2012

I am teaching Exploring the Middle Ages this semester, and Thursday is our
next class.  I am doing my Shrovetide/Lent food class.  The menu is:

Shrovetide Menu
	Pancakes
	Golden Balls
	Hedgehogs
	Y-stuffed Quail’s Eggs
	Tri-color Cheese Tart
	Yppocris

Pancake Races

Lent Menu
	Pretzels
	Pesyn with Caramelized Onions
	Almond Cheese/Butter
	Gingerbrede
	Water
	Almond Milk

Lenten Alms Jar

The pancake races were a big hit the last time I did this class. :)
I've been doing a Spring cleanse for a few weeks, but plan to get more
serious about the diet part of it when Lent starts, abstaining from sugar,
corn syrup, and pork (haven't been eating that for 6 weeks or so, but after
my German food class tonight I have fallen off of the pork abstinence wagon
HARD).  I did the full-on Lenten diet the first year we started this
tradition, and learned that both I and my persona were very tired of white
fish at the end of it.  Now I use it as a logical time frame to help clean
out my diet of one food or another.
I have also decided to try Tai Chi.
Christianna