[Sca-cooks] another turkey picture?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Feb 27 06:25:00 PST 2012

> Looks like turkeys. At this time the New World had been open for 90+ years
> so it is possible.

I would say "most likely" rather than possible.  Turkeys were being farmed
over 30 years before this painting and their price was lower than any large
bird in Europe.

> Also in front of the conceptual turkeys is a long gourd and a basket and
> between them is a greenish something. Bell pepper or small squash?
>
> aeduin

I would say neither.  The stem doesn't show the stellate shape of a New
World cucurbit and it is longer than you would get on a pepper.  It might be
a small gourd, but I'm more inclined toward guessing a small melon.  The
reproduction isn't fine enough to be definitive.

Bear