[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium article for February

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 5 17:06:16 PST 2012

Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for February detailing what
is new in the Florilegium this month.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.  Word
format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

If you have previously sent me an article and it has not appeared in
the Florilegium. Sometimes email doesn't arrive, sometimes I just lose
track of things, sometimes there are technical problems which with
help from the original author can be resolved.

If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

Thanks,
Stefan
-------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past twenty-two years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in
research papers submitted as A&S entries.

Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
    esential-oils-msg   Using, making and buying essential oils.
In the SCA-INC section:
    Mvng-Fd-Dish-art    "Moving the Food Dish - Being an officer in an
                           ever-changing Known World" by Master Aaron
                           Swiftrunner, former Society Seneschal.
In the SCA-STORIES section:
    SCA-hist4-msg       Msgs on the history of the SCA until 1/12.
In the TRAVEL section:
    trvlg-w-shlds-msg   Traveling with shields by commercial transport.

Here are the updated files for this month.
    coronets-msg        Medieval coronets and crowns. Modern sources
    crabapples-msg      Period crabapples and their uses.
    crash-space-msg     'crash-space etiquette' for both the traveler
                           and the crash-space provider.
    crossbows-msg       Period and SCA crossbows.
    dayboards-msg       SCA dayboards, middle-of-the-day meals.
    egg-storage-msg     Period and modern raw egg storage.
    event-maps-msg      Making maps to SCA events.
    fd-Iceland-msg      Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
    fried-foods-msg     Medieval fried foods. Recipes.
    panforte-msg        A medieval Italian, sweetened, spiced dessert
                           bread similar to fruitcake or Lebkuchen.
    perry-msg           A cider made with pear juice.
    saffron-msg         Types of saffron. period uses.
    SCA-hist3-msg       Msgs on the history of the SCA until 12/00.
    sewing-msg          Sewing ideas and stitches.
    song-sources-msg    Sources for medieval songs. Book reviews.
    stews-bruets-msg    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.
    veils-msg           Period veils. How to wear them.
---
Copyright 2012, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com