[Sca-cooks] Lent again!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Feb 22 09:21:59 PST 2012

Greetings all!

Well, it's that time of year again. Had the pancake dinner at church
last night, and today begins the Lenten fast. As in previous years, I'm
attempting to follow the medieval version of the Lenten diet. I do this
mostly because it gives me a tangible, real-to-the-skin way of
connecting with the past- a means of better understanding the Middle
Ages. Lent was a very significant part of medieval life, and
understanding how people felt about it... priceless.

The basic diet is vegan- no meat, no eggs, not dairy. Honey is ok
though. There's grains and nuts and lots of vegetables, nut milk (mostly
almond) and nut butters- even a fake 'cheese' made of almonds. And fish.
Lots and lots of fish. And lots of fish.

I do not care for fish, mostly.

Mind, I reserve the right to whine about Lent. It is a VERY period thing
to do!

For those who are interested, I put up a fairly extensive post on period
Lenten dietary practices on my blog- you can find it at:
http://slugcrossings.blogspot.com/2012/02/basics-of-medieval-lenten-dietary.html

If you have questions, feel free to drop me a line. :-)

Liutgard
--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
abilities." -Albus Dumbledore ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: