[Sca-cooks] Spices

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jan 14 14:30:36 PST 2012

Black pepper can be placed in Egypt (being used in mummification) as early
as 1200 BCE.  Long pepper was known as a medication in Greece around 600
BCE.  Their use as a condiment in the Mediterranean world is a little more
tricky, but we can set that as early as 2nd Century BCE in the Roman world
(IIRC).

The Classic Roman corpus does not generally differentiate between long and
black pepper, but Pliny states, that long pepper cost 15 denarii per pound,
white pepper cost 7 denarii per pound and black pepper cost 4 denarii per
pound.  Given the prices, black pepper would have been the most common.  The
Italian corpus likely follows the Roman lack of differentiation.

Long pepper is a very small seed (similar in size to poppy seed, black
pepper is a relatively large one.  When one talks about "peppercorn," the
reference is to black pepper.

Both were known and used in Europe in period, so if a recipe does not
diffentiate, you could use either.  It is worth noting that there was a
decline in the use of long pepper, starting around the 12th Century, leaving
black pepper as the most readily available pepper in Europe by the 14th
Century, so later period recipes calling for pepper are more likely to use
black pepper.

Bear