[Sca-cooks] old recipes - was National Pie Day

V O voztemp at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 16:54:02 PST 2012

Hey Cailte
If you like vintage recipes, I just experimented with a recipe from 1911, which turned out 'Really" well, not a pie or lemon, but from a 100 year old cook book.  They are cookies called Cinkites, which are just cinnamon meringues.

Easy and absolutly adictive!

The whole recipe is;
White 3 eggs                              1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 lb. powdered sugar (I used baking sugar, not powdered)
1/2 lb. unblanched almonds         Rind 1/2 lemon
Beat egg whites until stiff and add sugar, lemon rind, cinnamon, and almonds finely chopped.  Toss on a board sprinkled with flour, then with powdered sugar, and knead.  Patt and roll to one-fourth inch thickness.
Shape with a heart or any small fancy cutter, place on a buttered sheet and bake in a moderate oven.
Glaze with;
Confectioner's Frosting
To two tablespoons hot water add confectioners' (not powdered) sugar until of the right consistency to spread.  Flavor with one-half teaspoon vanilla.  Apply with a butter-brush.

As notes on the making,
We did not use the frosting, they are plenty sweet, and they kind of spread out of the cut shape.  So either add a little more flour when kneading (I figure it was less than a 1/4 cup that got kneaded in) or don't use a cutter and just cut them out with a knife in rows.  They also got very crumbly after the first roll out, and did not cut into shapes as well.  Baked at 350 for 7 to 10 min.

Made about 112 1 1/2 inch cookies.

And we also did a Apple bread from 1853.

Stew some apples and rub them through a course sieve; take the pulp thus obtained, to which add one great spoonful of shortening, one cup of yeast, and knead in flour to a proper consistancy.
(Yes, this is the whole recipe, and why I wanted to try it)
Note; if you try this, add some salt!

Too much fun playing with these!!

Mirianna