[Sca-cooks] Maple Sugar/Syrup

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 24 23:35:54 PST 2012

<<< Maple sugar pie?  Recipe please.  My maple sugar connection (family
visiting from New York) went a little crazy this year and we still
have a
half a gallon in the freezer.

-Shoshanah >>>

half a gallon of maple sugar? Or of maple syrup?

They aren't exactly the same. Today maple sugar is more expensive
because it means reducing maple syrup down further. However, until
transportation improved in the middle of the 19th century, maple syrup
wasn't really a commercial product, while maple sugar was. Neither was
known in Europe, in or out of period, since while Sugar Maple trees
will grow in Europe they don't product commercially viable amounts of
sap.

Stefan
Still remembers a Maple Syrup tasting we had in the SPCA camp years
ago at Pennsic.

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris