[Sca-cooks] Still OOP/OT - Lemon Pie - was National Pie Day

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 12:06:42 PST 2012

As requested:

Here is the recipe for the lemon pie.  My mistake - WWI and not WWII.  I
see that it doesn't tell you how to make a pie crust, what temperature to
cook the pie or for how long.  It also says to cover with meringue but
doesn't tell you how to make it or whether to bake it before or after the
meringue is added (from reading - it seems to add it after baking but the
picture shows it with a lovely brown color).  I guess in 1918 people knew
how to do these things without being told.

As I mentioned originally, I picked up this poster reproduction from a gift
shop in Tennessee when we were touring the homestead towns.  It has some
other recipes using Sunkist Lemons and it explains that at the time it was
prepared it would have cost "1 cent per 100 calories."  100 calories in
eggs alone would then have cost 4.2 cents.  So while economical of
materials, this pie is also low in price when measured by the energy
supplied.  Seems rather interesting to me that this would be a selling
point as I never think of the cost of an item in comparison to the energy
supplied.

If anyone has success with this please let us know:

This is a recipe on an ad for California Sunkist lemons

The Ladies’ Home Journal, September 1918

Alice Bradley’s Lemon Pie

(Made with Bread-crumbs and without Butter)

“The Unequalled Recipe”

1 ½ cups soft bread crumbs

3T oleomargarine

1C boiling water

1C sugar

1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch

2 egg yolks

3T Sunkist Lemon juice

Rind of one Sunkist Lemon

Break bread crumbs into small pieces.  Add oleomargarine.  Pour boiling
water over.  Let stand until soft.

Mix sugar and cornstarch, add egg yolks, well beaten, and Sunkist Lemon
juice and rind.  Combine mixtures.  Bake in one crust and cover with
meringue.

“Dripping” may be used in the pie crust,” says Miss Bradley, “and a real
war-time, through delicious dessert, is thus easily prepared.”

Shoshanah