[Sca-cooks] Short film on curing hams and bacon

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jan 26 16:32:50 PST 2012

This is a short film by "the University of Mississippi Media
Documentary Projects about Tennessee porkman Allan Benton, who
supplies chefs like David Chang and Sean Brock  with ham and bacon.

Benton grew up curing pork — he says because "It was sustenance for
poor Appalachian hillbillies quite honestly" — but found the market
for his audience when he tried prosciutto for the first time and
realized he liked his product was better. The man certainly seems to
enjoy his job: "I can honestly tell you I have never gotten tired of
country-cured ham or country-cured bacon in my life." "

http://eater.com/archives/2012/01/26/watch-a-short-film-about-pork-master-allan-benton.php

Other films by the Southern Foodways Alliance can be found here:

http://southernfoodways.org/documentary/film/index.html

Johnnae