[Sca-cooks] Playing with cazuelas...

galefridus at optimum.net galefridus at optimum.net
Mon Jan 2 12:51:54 PST 2012

I've acquired one or two from a Pennsic merchant over the past couple of years, and if I recall correctly, the instruction sheet stated that no seasoning was necessary.  I did it anyway, but I used the same method that's recommended for my North African tagines -- smear with olive oil and heat in a low oven for a few hours.

I've cooked with the things a few times, usually using direct heat over a charcoal brazier.  Worked really well!  I also used one as the vessel in which I dry cured some olives last year, and it was good for that too.  I had to soak the thing for a while to get all the salt out when I was done, though.

-- Galefridus