[Sca-cooks] Recipe translation: Dried peaches

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 16 23:29:22 PST 2012

Brighid ni Chiarain posted
<<< I am going to throw caution to the wind and post this.  Something
short and simple, since the hour is late and I am tired.>>>

Thank you! I have saved this for the Florilegium peaches-msg file, and
also to Regalo-de-la-Vida-msg with the hope that you will be posting
more recipes and/or redaction or that others will post redactions to
the recipes.

Thanks for the comparison as well. I'd forgotten about that other
recipe. It sounds like this one, using dried peaches, could even make
a rather fancy dish for an event such as Gulf Wars or Pennsic. When
fresh peaches might not be available.

Stefan

Dried Peaches for the Beginning of the Meal

Put them the night before to soak in good white wine and at the time
that they are to be served at the table, take them out and cast ground
sugar on top of them.

> From "Regalo de la vida humana" by Juan Valles, 16th c.
c. 2009 by the Government of Navarre and the Austrian National Library
Translation by Robin Carroll-Mann

Some may remember that a little over a year ago, we were discussing
peach recipes.  The 1423 carving manual "Art de Cortar" has
instructions for carving fresh peaches and dipping the slices in white
wine.  This recipe is not as elegant as table-side carving, but would
work well when peaches are out of season.

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris