[Sca-cooks] ground powder sugar

Deborah Hammons mistressaldyth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:04:51 PST 2012

I based that on experience, and an assumption.  I have both the blade
grinders and the stone ones.  For sugar, spices, and grain.  In one of my
grain mill books (and I am going to look it up tomorrow) there is a chapter
devoted to grain and how it is processed differently for bread and beer.
 Ground for bread, cut for beer.

My stainless steel grinder (which I use for the sugar) does get coated
easily when I am grinding down.  I like to use beet sugar, and maybe that
is where the coating comes from.  It isn't always a white product like cane
sugar.  And the odor too.  I have to take it apart and put it in the
dishwashera between powderings.  :-))

The stones on the other hand retain the oil from the grain, and the spices
so I have to dedicate a couple of them to the oily spices and grains.  Not
so much the oats and barley.  But spelt, flax, whole wheat...yes.  I am in
the process of getting another one for grain that will be for the really
gluten free grains to prevent contamination.  I don't grind tons of flour
like some people, but it is nice for a loaf once in a while.

Aldyth