[Sca-cooks] ground powder sugar

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Jan 26 14:35:20 PST 2012

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> I use bread or raw rice in my dedicated spice grinder.
>
> Spice Grinder Cleaning?  http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/381909
> http://www.thekitchn.com/try-this-clean-160549
>
> There's a warning here not to grind cloves or allspice in a grinder with
> plastic parts.
> http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/85/Krups-Spice-Grinder

I can corroborate that--my dedicated spice grinder (as opposed to my
dedicated mustard grinder) has a clouded lid due to cloves. If you grind
dry rice in it a couple of times it helps remove a bit of the clove oil so
that other spices don't end up with an air of cloves about them, but it is
permanently clouded.

In my defense I didn't know that cloves would do that, otherwise I would
have ground them in the stone mortar.

Margaret