[Sca-cooks] History of Bread and baking

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 15:39:22 PST 2012

William Rubel's new book on bread (http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/distributed/B/bo12342742.html) deals with lots of bread's early history at the beginning of the book.

Juana Isabella

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:11:15 -0800
From: Mercy Neumark <mneumark at hotmail.com>
To: "sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: [Sca-cooks] History of Bread and baking

One of my students is preparing for Pentathlon over here in CAID.  I have a number of books, but as I recently lost my sounding board for suggestions (Mistress Huette)... I wanted to make sure I was covering all the bases when pointing her in the right direction for documenting bread and baked goods.

What books would you all use/suggest for documentation for bread history? I have "history of bread" (author and book under a pile of books currently yikes) and I have an Elizabeth David book on baking and it's history. I have a ton of books scattered in my house, but these are the ones I could think of off the top of my head. Head is still a little fuzzy since I lost Huette, so I apologize for sounding like a bonehead.

Italian suggestions would be nice as that is what she's focused on. I have Scappi, but haven't read it fully yet. No idea if any bread or baking references in there.

Suggestions welcome. Help always appreciated.

--Mercy