[Sca-cooks] Pan Pepato - was Interesting artilce-

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Jan 28 12:28:28 PST 2012

Baroness Helewyse actually came up with a recipe in 2009.

On Tue Feb 24 11:05:44 PST 2009, she wrote
The odd thing is that I finally found a period recipe for panpepato
(pan forte) in a chiurgeon book of all places.
It is, after all the same festival bread referenced in Elizabeth
Davids bread book and previously identified in other period cook
books.  I.e. a yeast bread with added sugar, spices, fruit etc.
I have included the recipe and reference below, the original book is
in the Gallica collection at BNF
:

 > Del modo di fare il pan forte, che si fa nelle speciarie Cap 39 Libro
 > Quinto.
 > Il pan forte che si fa nelle spetiarie che a Roma lo chiamano pan
pepato,
 > perciohe vi entra il pepe, a Bologna lo chiamano pan spetiale,
percioche vi
 > mettono dentro di piu sorti di spetie, & a Venetia lo chiamano pan
forte dal
 > pepe che vi mettono, & in altri luochi lo chiamano in diversi altri
modi;
 > una in quanto al modo di farlo e quasi tutto uno, & si fa cosi
cioe, si
 > piglia farina, & se gli fa il suo levato come si fa per fare il
pane, & poi
 > si impasta con acqua e mele tanto di uno quanto di l'altro, & vi si
mette
 > pepe, zafarano, comino, garofali, zucche condite, scorze di naranze
condite;
 > di tutte le sopradette cose quella quantita che pare allo speciale,
che si
 > convenga in detto pane; & impastato che sara, fare il pane, &
lasciarlo
 > levare, e poi farlo cuocere nel forno, avvertendo che il forno non
sia
 > trooppo caldo quando vi si metto il detto pane, & questo e molto
salutifero
 > (salutisero) allo stomaco rispetto alle specie che vi entrano.
 >
 > The way to make "pan forte" that is made by the Spiciers (Chapter
39, Fifth
 > book)
 > The strong bread that is made by the spiciers of Rome is called
Peppered
 > bread, because it contains pepper, in Bologna it is called spiced
bread
 > because they put inside many more types of spices, and in Venice
they call
 > it strong bread because of the pepper they put in, and in other
places it is
 > called in many other ways, however in all these places the way of
making it
 > is almost only one, and one makes it thus that is, one takes flour,
and one
 > gives it it's raising agent (bigo) the same as one does for making
bread,
 > and then one pastes it (mixes it) with water and honey more of the
one
 > (first) than the other (second), and one puts into it pepper,
saffron,
 > cumin, cloves, candied gourd (could be squash given time period of
writing)
 > and candied orange peel, and all these above things one puts in in
the
 > quantity that is the opinion of the spicier, that one agrees is
better to
 > add to this bread; and when it is mixed make the bread and leave it
 > raise, and then put it to cook in the oven, taking care that the
oven is not
 > too hot when you add the bread, and this is very healthy to the
stomach
 > because of the spices it has inside.

[The book was:   ]

 > Type : texte imprimé, monographie
 > Auteur(s) :  Fioravanti, Leonardo
 > Titre(s) :  Compendio de i secreti rationali [Document
électronique] / di M.
 > Leonardo Fioravanti Bolognese,...
 > Type de ressource électronique :  Données textuelles
 > Publication :  1995
 > Description matérielle :  [11]-183 f.
 >
 > Note(s) :  Date d'éd. du microfilm provenant d'un catalogue d'éditeur
 > Reproduction :  Num. BNF de l'éd. de : Cambridge (Mass.) : Omnisys,
[ca
 > 1990] (Italian books before 1601 ; 425.4). 1 microfilmReprod. de
l'éd. de :
 > Turino : appresso Giovanni Dominico Tarino, 1592
 >
 > Sujet(s) :  Médecine -- Ouvrages avant 1800
Hope this helps
Johnnae