[Sca-cooks] Desert Tribes?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Jan 22 17:14:51 PST 2012

Berbers aren't in the Middle East, they are in North Africa. Middle eastern desert tribes would be mostly bedouin.

You might want to look at God's Banquet: Food in Classical Arabic Lierature by Geert Jan van Gelder. As I recall, it has some references to bedouin food.

There is, of course, lots of information available on Islamic cooking, but it's almost all from the settled populations, not the nomads. Some of the recipes in the Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook reference particular North African groups, so one might argue that they are desert tribe recipes, although I don't know of any good evidence that they are.

There are lots of worked out Islamic recipes in our How to Milk an Almond ... .

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/To_Milk_an_Almond.pdf