[Sca-cooks] Islamic/Middle Eastern condiment tray

Sayyeda al-Kaslaania samia at idlelion.net
Sat Jan 28 14:59:23 PST 2012

Thank you for the suggestions.

Last night I found this article on Google:

Miller, H.D., "The Pleasures of Consumption: The Birth of Medieval
Islamic Cuisine." in _Food: the History of Taste_. Edited by Paul H.
Freedman. Series: California Studies in Food and Culture. U of
California Press, 2007.Pp. 135-162.

According to Miller, olive oil would be served on the table as a prized
fat, too expensive for the entire cooking process during the Middle
Ages. He also notes that al-Baghdadi used /murri/ in cooking several
dishes, but it never appears as a condiment. However, a common condiment
could be made from the same process that created /murri/. Adding milk to
this fermentation process created a sort of curded cheese that was
flavored with garlic, mint, nigella, or even rose. Is there a modern
equivalent to this cheese?

So there's two more. I still think salt should be one of them, too.
Plus, Miller notes that a variety of bread would be served with every
meal (breads include everything from yeast breads, to lavash, to
crackers), so the quince dish would work.

Sayyeda al-Kaslaania