[Sca-cooks] CAPERS.

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 6 06:16:38 PST 2012

On 01/05/2012 08:28 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Suey posted:
> <<< When I published this recipe in my blog on December 23rd, I was
> thinking
> of Stefan who since I have known him has been introduced to capers:
> "AT?N BLANCO & 13TH ATLANTIC TUNA WITH CAPERS RECIPE...
> <http://spanishfoodma.blogspot.com/2011/12/atun-blanco-13th-atlantic-tuna-with.html>":
> >>>

> Thanks. Interesting.
>
> The recipe says:
> <<< Strain the capers and pour them over the tuna. >>>
>
> Okay, what is poured over the tuna? The capers? Or the water the
> capers are boiled in?

 From the word "them" and the photo, I deduce it is the capers being
sprinkled over the tuna.

> 7/8 c capers? All I've seen are little jars of capers and the entire
> jar isn't anywhere near 7/8 of a cup! Or are these fresh capers? Which
> I've never seen?

That does seem like a lot. I like capers, so I would consider doing this
anyway, especially if they're blanched to remove excess salt. But as
there are a couple of apparent minor typos (cook lowly over moderate
heat?, and at one point a reference to raising or lowering the het) it's
possible 1/8 could be intended, I suppose, which would give you 1/2 Tbs
per serving.

> <<<
> http://spanishfoodma.blogspot.com/2011/12/atun-blanco-13th-atlantic-tuna-with.html
> I received the following comment about the recipe today:
>> Exquisite simple and almost Italian (for the capers!) I think we
>> should take care to choose not very strong capers (something a bit
>> difficult in Spain where this pickles come usually very strong).
> I never thought about the capers being strong or not. I've always
> thought pickled capers are taste of capers when they come out of the
> bottle.
> Suey >>>
>
> Which is strong? The vinegar? Or the resulting/original capers?
> Vinager in the US is almost always diluted to a 5% solution. Perhaps
> this isn't the case elsewhere?  Or the type of vinegar used would seem
> to greatly affect the strength of the pickle taste if that is the what
> is being talked about.

In my own experience, capers are salted, either dry-packed with salt, or
in brine. I don't think I've ever seen them in vinegar.

Adamantius