[Sca-cooks] [foodmanuscriptproject] Need (international) copyright advice

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Jan 16 21:05:32 PST 2012

The original words are long out of copyright. If you translate from
the original words then the translation is entirely yours, and can be
published with you as copyright owner of the translation. Up to and
including the entire work, but excluding any introduction or essay or
other material that is modern.

The facsimile itself is copyright (though not in all jurisdictions
since some would call it a purely mechanical operation not of the
same nature as an art photograph, but be safe and treat it as having
a valid copyright), so you cannot reproduce the facsimile without
permission.

It might be courteous to ask them if you intended a full translation
into English, but they cannot forbid you.  Also, they might want to
co-operate !

The status of the transcription is murky. Some jurisdictions would
call it a purely mechanical process, while some might allow a claim
that it involved intellectual input and could be copyright. So do
your own transcription and translation from the original. It is fine
to then compare your transcription with theirs and if they differ
decide which is correct. You might be right and they might be wrong.
I've found on at least one occasion that the translation process led
me to correct a transcription. Assume that a photo-reproduction of
the printed text of their transcription would be subject to their
copyright.

Fair use of portions is a separate question, and the definition of
"fair use" varies between jurisdictions, but is not going to be more
restrictive than your general rights. So translations from the
original for use at Pennsic are fine, as would be reproductions of
minor portions of the facsimile and of the transcription.

Again, the original words are long out of copyright, and nobody can
put them back into copyright, no matter how hard they try, nor how
much they might want to.

James / Thorvald