[Sca-cooks] History of Bread and baking

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jan 27 15:23:12 PST 2012

Well to start, Baroness Helewyse de Birkestad's Italian papers and
recipes can be located now at http://www.medievalcookery.com/
helewyse/  [Pane di Latte et Zuccaro – Twisted bread of milk and sugar
and a paper on "Brazzatelli by any other name would taste as sweet"
are included.]

Gillian Riley's The Oxford Companion to Italian Food is worth browsing
through. Ask at your local library. There are numerous entries on
breads, including a great deal of  medieval and Renaissance bread
history in the entry under "Bread."

Terence Scully's translation of Scappi includes recipes with bread.

William Rubel's Bread: A Global History is brand new and might be
worth a look depending on what else has already been seen. Ken
Albala's Eating Right in the Renaissance and The Banquet are worth
looking at. Also your library may have a copy of the Parasecoli volume
Food Culture in Italy by Greenwood Press. That too might be worth
looking at.

For general information and traditional recipes, Carol Field's The
Italian Baker, Revised: The Classic Tastes of the Italian Countryside
is available again.

hope this helps

Johnnae