[Sca-cooks] Interesting artilce-

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jan 28 10:00:32 PST 2012

I've made it a few times.  My cakes are flatter than what is shown, but that
is more a matter of the pans.  Panforte is originally referenced in 13th
Century monastery records from Siena as "honey and pepper cakes", but there
is no period recipe for this variant although it is similar to contemporay
lebkuchen and gingerbread.  There is a a period recipe for the more
bread-like variant under the name panpepato.

Bear