[Sca-cooks] olive curing

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 3 15:43:56 PST 2012

Galefridus mentioned:
<<< I've cooked with the things a few times, usually using direct heat
over a charcoal brazier. ?Worked really well! ?I also used one as the
vessel in which I dry cured some olives last year, and it was good for
that too.>>>

Can you describe more of what you did to dry cure your olives? It was
from this list that I found out that you had to cure olives; that you
couldn't eat them ripe from the tree.

However, I don't think I've seen much on what it takes to turn fresh
olives into something edible. Did you just let the fresh olives sit in
salt?

<<< I had to soak the thing for a while to get all the salt out when I
was >>>

Did this then produce a brine which soaked into the pottery? I'm not
sure why loose salt would be difficult to get out of the ceramic,
otherwise.

So, has anyone else cured olives? What did you start with? I've never
seen fresh olives for sale.

Thanks,
   Stefan

--------