[Sca-cooks] "cows eyes"

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:35:30 PDT 2012

Dama Antonia wrote:On 7/11/12 3:05 PM,
sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org wrote:
> I was under the impression that the "cows' eyes" in the Anonymous
> al-Andalus were prunes.  That's what the Perry translation says.
>
> http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian2.htm
Thank you so much! My recipe is number 371 in which Al-Andalus uses
"cows eyes." The recipe you cite is number 48 so I was mixed up between
the trees and the forest - whoever the expression goes. By the time I
got 371 I did not remember what was in 48 and it did not occur to me to
cross-check.

Huici too clear states in recipe 48  that they are "black prunes!"
Suey