[Sca-cooks] PIckling

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Jul 17 17:35:02 PDT 2012

>Nice bit of translation.  Sulze can also mean
>aspic, primarily in the Austrian and Southern
>German dialects, and I can see where this might
>be an aspic.  Does Grimm provide any information
>on when that usage came about?

Thank you for the kind words.  I know sulze can
mean aspic, in Rumpolt it also means a kind of
uncooked meat.. I guess the kind that is usually
salted or made into aspic.

But here I think it means salted, which seems to
be the oldest meaning of the word.  Grimm is
difficult reading, and I don't always understand
it completely

Grimm's entry on "sulze" is here
http://woerterbuchnetz.de/DWB/?sigle=DWB&mode=Vernetzung&lemid=GS56447

1.  'natürliches salzwasser' or natural salt water,
     a. 'salzsole','salzquelle' salt spring 10th c., salt works 11c.

      b. 'salzlache' salt ponds, small waterholes
with salty water 11c.; muddy, marshy

2.  Salt lick, 16thc in "jägersprache" hunting jargon

3.  Sülze as a food; besides the salted this adds curdled or jellied dishes
     a. 'salzbrühe', for meat, cabbage, or herring 15c.

     b. 'gallertartige flüssigkeit' jellylike fluid

     c.  fleischgericht, wurstart (im darm oder in einem geschirr, 'preszsülze'
    meat dishes, sausage in intestines or in a
dish, the solidified broth with finely chopped
meat.

    d.  The meat (usually inferior types) that one
makes Sülze from, tripe 15th c.

4. a plant name

5.  I think this one means people making money from salt mining

Adelung tends to be shorter and more readable, but doesn't give dates.
From Adelung on "Sulze"
http://lexika.digitale-sammlungen.de/adelung/lemma/bsb00009134_2_3_3742

1. Salt lick
2. Salt mine
3. A salty congealed broth, aspic
4. anything that is put in a salty broth or in vinegar.
The origin is from "salz" or salt.