[Sca-cooks] pickling

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 00:57:25 PDT 2012

Here's the recipe you requested (it's also in my cucumber article):

In a Pickled Salad, from The English Housewife, by      Gervase Markham,
1615: Your preserved      sallats are of two kinds, either pickled, as are
cucumbers, samphire,      purslane, broom and such like, or preserved with
vinegar, as violets,      primrose, cowslips, gillyflowers of all kinds,
broom flowers, and for the      most part any wholesome flower whatsoever.
/ Now for pickling of sallats,      the are only boiled, and then drained
from the water, spread opon a table,      and a good store of salt thrown
over them, then when they are thorough      cold, make a pickle with water,
salt and a little vinegar, and with the      same pot them up in close
earthen pots and serve them forth as occasion shall      serve.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Stefan li Rous
<StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>wrote:

> <<<Tannins are desirable in pickling. Keeps the pickles crisp, that's why
> we put grape leaves in, right?
>
> Selene Colfox >>>
>
> We do?
>
> Stefan