[Sca-cooks] Pickles was NPR Fresh Air on Fermentation

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jul 17 10:51:50 PDT 2012

ahhh this new book…

was written on June 13th, 2012

Terry Gross talked to author Sandor Katz today about his new book
The Art of Fermentation. It was fun to listen to him.

"Self-described "fermentation revivalist" Sandor Katz says "the creative space" between fresh and rotten is the root of most of humanity's prized delicacies. His new book, The Art of Fermentation, explores the ancient culinary art form."

http://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

Johnnae

was written
On 7/16/2012 9:24 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> <<<Tannins are desirable in pickling. Keeps the pickles crisp, that's why
> we put grape leaves in, right? Selene Colfox >>>
>
> We do?
>
> Stefan

Well, I do.  I learned it from Sandor Ellix Katz in his excellent work, WILD FERMENTATION, the very primer on pickle and other fermented foods.  He's rewritten it into a larger version but I have not read that fully yet.

Cheers,
Selene