[Sca-cooks] camel's hump

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 23 15:16:54 PDT 2012

Ian of Oertha queried:
> has anyone eaten camel's hump?

Yes, i have. In fact, when i heard that camel was being served at that particular feast, i made an effort to attend. That was something i couldn't miss!

> how was it prepared?

I was not the cook and it was, i dunno, 6 years ago, so i'm not sure how it was prepared.

I recall the head feast cook commenting that it was trouble to try to brown it first, as it (or its fat) kept caramelizing. As i recall, it was quite tender, tasted like meat - none of the strong unpleasant flavors that lamb (why, yes, i don't really like lamb!), sheep, or goat has, and was slightly sweet.

I'd definitely eat it again.

I cannot say the same for kidneys - although i suspect the kidneys i had were not properly prepared. I did not feel ill, but the experience was somewhat reminiscent of eating in a urinal.

Johnnae replied to Ian:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/06/programmes_food_for_thought/html/2.stm
>>
>> I think both Andrew Zimmern and Anthony Bourdain have commented on eating
>> it.
>>
>> You might search the files at the Travel Channel.

Ian responded:
> well, Yeah, but I wanted to get a more detailed opinion, and from NORMAL
> people.

And somehow you think that people on THIS list are normal? Bwa-ha-ha-hah!

Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
who will be cooking lamb at Pennsic in her mid-15th & 16th c. Ottoman cooking class