[Sca-cooks] Morat,, Cyser or Fruity Mead source recipe help

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Jul 15 20:13:44 PDT 2012

The original may not be a mead, but rather a fruit infused honey drink.  For
example, rose mead is often referred to as rhodomeli, but the original
recipe is for a rose and honey condiment (or possibly drink) that may or may
not be fermented.

"Recipe for rose honey: fine roses, wild ones if possible. Cut away the
white part at the end of the rose petals, squeeze them in a press and take
two pints of the juice and one pint of honey. Skim off the froth on the
honey, add the honey to the rose juice and put in a storage jar; stir
vigourously and store away in a place that is not damp."

Bassus, Geoponica

I also have recipes for quince infused wine and an apple honey water by
Bassus.  I do not have a copy of Geoponica and can't tell you if the recipe
you seek is there.  I do have what is stated to be a mead recipe from
Columella, but I don't have the original Latin text to evaluate the quality
of the translation.

"Take rainwater kept for several years, and mix a sextarius of this water
with a pound of honey. For a weaker mead, mix a sextarius of water with nine
ounces of honey. The whole is exposed to the sun for 40 days, and then left
on a shelf near the fire. If you have no rain water, then boil spring
water."

Columella, De Re Rustica

If you're looking for mulsum, hydromel, oxymel amd melomel recipes, you need
to be digging in the agronomy texts rather than Apicius.

Bear