[Sca-cooks] Skirrets

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 15:17:09 PDT 2012

Respected friends:
--- On Mon, 7/16/12, Aruvqan <aruvqan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/16/2012 1:03 AM, Sharon Palmer
> wrote:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sium_sisarum
> > Sium sisarum (Skirret, Crummock) is a perennial plant
> of the family Apiaceae sometimes grown as a root vegetable
> > http://farmerscrub.blogspot.com/2010/05/crop-summary-skirret-sium-sisarum.html
>

> Those sound interesting. I should see about getting some
> seed and letting Phlip figure out where to put a patch of
> them.

Be _very_ careful with Skirrets. They are almost as unkillable as Kudzu once they become "established" - They propogate happily from root fragments, seed, runner-rootlets, even broken stem sections if conditions are just right; and in many parts of the New World, they're an invader species, crowding out native plants. I've been told they should only be grown in a pot place on concrete, and all flowers destroyed the second they form, if you live in New England.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

"If you're a normal human, the inside of your head is not a pretty
place. Venting it unfiltered to the internet may feel therapeutic,
but it's unlikely to end well."
--Goedjn