[Sca-cooks] barrels

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 16 21:14:02 PDT 2012

<<< The vinegar barrels in the painting don't show the insides.
I am not clear when toasting became the ONLY way you could get a
barrel (like it seems to be now!) so not sure.
Waxed? I think that is mostly because we don't like tannin in our
water, no?
Interesting questions.
I have no answers.
Anyone else?
Eduardo >>>

You can still get fresh wooden barrels, but they aren't cheap. The
charring comes from the bourbon industry and perhaps other beverage
producers. There is a definite used market for these barrels and they
go down in price from use to use and there is a definite order.

You can find more info on this, and on period barrels, is this
Florielgium file in the CRAFTS section:
coopering-msg     (56K)  5/26/11  Making and maintaining barrels and
kegs.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/coopering-msg.html

Stefan

--------