[Sca-cooks] My dinner de-brief

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Jun 3 13:01:27 PDT 2012

>>What's the earliest mention anyone here has seen of citrus fruits north of
>>Spain and Italy?
>>

> It's not early, but Rumpolt has a *lot* of recipes with lemon. Including
> salted lemons, which would travel better than fresh lemons.
>
> Ranvaig

Lemons show up in Sabina Welserin (1553).

I have encountered a reference to oranges being delivered to Southhampton in
a Spanish ship in 1290, but have not located the original source.  Queen
Eleanor (wife of Edward I) is supposed to have purchased some, so there may
be a reference in the royal accounts.

John Lydgate (1370-1451) references oranges and lemons in the poem Pur le
Roy celebrating the arrival of Henry VI in London in 1432.

Bear