[Sca-cooks] Rectifying Bitter Medieval Recipes

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jun 28 19:55:18 PDT 2012

>At the risk of decorating the kitchen again, I shall try again - the
>family says that when I finished extracting the arils (seed sacs)
>yesterday it looked like the Inquisition had hit the kitchen!

I cut a little slice from each end that just exposes the arils but
doesn't cut into them.  Then score the rind from one end to the other
in 3- 4 places, and you can break it apart without cutting.  Then
break the arils off one at a time.  Not fast, but I usually don't
spill any juice at all.

But for juice I'd be tempted to wash the outside well, cut them in
quarters and put them in a sealed ziplock plastic bag and press the
juice out with a heavy rolling pin.

Ranvaig